Who is an Engineer?
Engineers are those who apply the principle and theory of science and mathematics to develop economical solution to the technical problems. We can see the engineering everywhere in the world around us; improving the way we travel work, stay healthy, communicate and entertain. Their work is link between commercial application and scientific discoveries that meat consumer or societal needs. To explore more about what do engineers do check the complete article.
What do Engineers Do?
Most of the engineers design and develop new products. During that designing or developing process, they consider several factors. Let us take a example : In developing a robot, engineer design the components, specify the function requirements precisely, test the components, integrates the components to produce the final design. Also they evaluate the design’s overall effectiveness, safety, reliability and cost. Above discussed process may also be applied for the development of many different types of products, such as toys, helicopters, powerplants, computers, chemicals etc.
Additionally, Engineers involve in design and developments, maintenance, production, or testing the product. They work as supervisor in factories, test the manufactured products to maintain quality, determine the cause of component’s failure. Also they estimate the cost and time required to complete projects. Thus engineers are responsible for entire projects.
Similarly, they use computer extensively to produce and analyze design; to simulate and test how a system, structure, or machine operates to develop specifications for parts. Also they test to monitor the quality of products and to control the efficiency of process. Engineers also involve in Nanotechnology. Nanotechnology involves the development of high performance components and materials by integrating molecules and atoms. Or they may introduce entirely new principles to the design process.
Related Information : Computer Science vs Computer Engineering
Most of the engineering course, engineering filed are specialize and engineers are also. Mainly there are six types of major branch of engineering: they are Geotechnical engineering, Management engineering, civil engineering, Mechanical engineering, and Electrical engineering. Under each branch there are hundreds of different subdivision or sub categories. But according to Standard Occupational Classification system engineering can be specialties in 17 types.Different types of engineering can be recognized by professional societies but each of the major branch of engineering has its own numerous subdivision.
Thus, engineers build skyscrapers, design machinery and oversee the public works. But also they work to meet the society’s needs and problems on so many other levels as well.In molecular level engineers work on drug or medicine delivery systems which works inside the living beings cells. At atomic level, engineers design that focus on the electron. At a galactic level engineers design the spacecraft for other planet exploration. The domain of engineers also cover the protection of our environment, safe food storage and clean drinking water.Here is the list of different types of engineers.
Types of Engineers And what they do?
- Aerospace Engineers
- -coordinates for the design, direct for design, manufacture and test the aerospace products and or aircraft.
- Agricultural Engineers
- -helps to make farming sustainable, safe and environmentally friendly, they analyze agricultural operations, looks for new technologies to solve the problems.
- Biochemical Engineers
- -similarly they develop new chemical products which can be used in daily life by individuals or multitude of companies.
- Biomedical Engineers
- -analyzes the problems in biology and medicine and design the solution for that problems.
- Biofuel Manufacturing Research Engineers
- – Test, choose and recommends equipments and process improvements for the production of possible alternative fuel.
- Chemical Engineers
- – similarly they design the processes for producing, transporting and transforming the materials.
- Civil Engineers
- – Civil engineers design large construction projects, including airports, building, roads, tunnels, bridges, dams, and systems for water supply and sewage treatment.
- Computer Hardware Engineers
- – researches to analyzes the problems, design, develops and test the computer equipments such as router, boards, circuits, chips.
- Computer System Engineers
- -They gives the advice to clients regarding the appropriate hardware as well as software to ensure that their systems meet their requirements.
- Electrical Engineers
- -Design and develop the electrical devices to solve the problems and test devices.
- Environmental Engineers
- -use the engineering principles to develop solutions to environmental problems.
- Flight Engineers
- -flight engineers are responsible for ensuring that all the components of the planes are in proper working orders.
- Geotechnical Engineers
- -similarly this engineering is the branch of civil engineering which involves the understanding what is beneath the ground’s surface.
- Geothermal Engineering
- – design and develop the equipments that can convert thermal energy stored in the earth into electrical energy.
- Industrial Engineers
- – similarly they are responsible for finding way to eliminates wastefulness in production process.
- Mechanical Engineers
- – create and test the mechanical devices including engines, tool and machines.
- Mechatronics Engineers
- – design and develop a machines that are made up of several parts: the software, control system, the sensing and actuation and the mechanical system.
- Mining and Geological Engineers
- – they work to design mines for the safe and efficient removal of minerals like metal and coal for utilities and manufacturing.
- Nanosystems Engineers
- -these engineers investigates the michroscopic interactions between various materials.
- Nanotechnology Engineers
- -similarly investigates to learn new things which can help to further development in the field of science, health, the environment on molecular level and technology.
- Nuclear Engineers
- -develop the processes, instruments and systems used to get benefits from nuclear energy.
- Petroleum Engineering
- – choosing best location of reservoirs of oil and natural gas in the earth’s surface.
- Photonics Engineers
- – responsible for create and improves photonics systems and products like lasers, optics, fiber, imaging, and optics.
- Power Engineers
- – deals with operation, maintenance, repair and renovation of boiler systems and other mechanical systems in facility.
- Product Safety Engineering
- -product safety engineers are responsible for developing and experiments to gauge the safety levels of products.
- Robotics Engineers
- – design and create a robots and robotics systems, create algorithm for that system which may able to perform duties that humans are either unable or prefer not to complete.
- Sales Engineers
- – sells technological products or complex scientific services for business.
- Security Engineers
- – who analyzes the computer system or network to ensure that they are running securely. Also protect their system from external access.
- Ship Engineer or Marine Engineers
- – is someone who involved in coordinating the activity in technical department abroad a research, commercial and military ships.
- Software Engineers
- – similarly, they are responsible for the development of software and use engineering concept during software development.
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers
- – engineers who work for maintaining the quality of software.
- Water Engineers
- – Make sure that clean water is available to citizens and take care of sewage ad wastewater.
Thus, this is the basic information about what do engineers do as profession. Field of engineering may different but all engineering deals with designing the respective components to make our daily life easier. For the detail information you may click on each engineering topic.